Skip to main content

New things to Learn in Kenya

Traveling to new places can be exciting, but I am a little nervous as well.

Going to Kenya will be a new adventure! There will be new foods to try. I am not too adventurous if I am not sure what it is, so I will have some peanut butter crackers in my backpack, just in case. The surroundings and culture will be different, and there will be new things to learn.

Many of the others in our group have written about the mission work we will do. For me, the most challenging thing is the emotional toll that it takes on me. I hate the "hello/goodbye circles" because I get all choked up and tears start to flow. My tongue gets tied and I just can't express myself. That is why it is so important to spend some time doing other things during our trip - just for fun.

I'm looking forward to feeding the giraffes and going on safari. I will take along my binoculars and wear my goofy hat I picked up at a secondhand store in Arizona earlier in the year.

Will the landscape be wide open plains, like I have seen in the movies?

Will we witness the great migration?

Will I get to see elephants, lions, and zebra in their natural habitats? What about hippopotamus or cape buffalo?

I think this trip will be interesting, and I am going to keep an open mind, but three nights in the bush? What will I hear? What will I smell?

For now, I am putting aside the fear factor and keeping my eyes open for God sightings.

- Steve

Comments