Skip to main content

Wisdom of the Elders

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6&7


I know these words from the Apostle Paul well.  Still, I am human, and I do have some anxiety about this trip to Kenya.


I have done my share of mission work, and I feel strongly about justice issues - the importance of welcoming the stranger, women’s rights to healthcare, equality, racial bias, homelessness, etc.  Jesus calls us to love one another.  Still, I am quite a bit anxious because I have never been to Africa.  I’ve never been south of the equator.  I don’t quite know what to expect but it is a place I’ve always wanted to go.  I want to experience the culture, meet the people, see what life is like.  I want to see Kenya with my own eyes.


All I know of Kenya is what I remember from World History class in High School (55 years ago) and what I have read recently in a book I checked out from the library.  


My greatest fear is that I am too old!  No longer am I able to do the physical work that I once did.  I am not as agile; I’m not steady on my feet and I can’t walk far or stand for long periods of time.  The years have changed my physical abilities, but my mind says I still have a lot to offer.


My prayer is that I can keep up with the others in our small group and that I can be of service.  I hope to do what I can to touch the lives of others with a heart of love. I can help feed the kids and review their schoolwork.  I can hold babies. I can be open to let the Spirit working through me. I have heard it is called the "Wisdom of the Elders".


So, my determination overrides my anxiety.  I will lift my heart with thanksgiving for the opportunity to share Christ’s love. 


- Joyce


*The photo above was from a mission trip years ago where there were other babies that needed to be held.


Comments